The National Fire Protection Association reports more than 800 fires are caused by holiday decorations each year. Whether you’re a low-key decorator or you could pass for Clark Griswold in “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation,” we want you to stay safe. Here are some holiday safety tips:
- Never overload an electric outlet with too many lights.
- Check holiday light strings for frayed or bare wires, or loose connections. Discard any damaged holiday lights.
- Use only flame-resistant materials.
- Avoid decorations that resemble candy or food. A small child could eat them.
- Switch to battery-operated candles.
- Never use lighted candles on a tree.
- Keep candles where they can’t be knocked over by children or pets.
- Test smoke alarm batteries and replace them if needed.
- Create a family emergency plan and review it with your household.
- Gather an emergency kit with spare food, water, prescription medications and pet supplies.